Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Mugs and Kisses {Hot Cocoa/Cider Box Tutorial}

Hello Friends! As promised, I am here today sharing my "Hot Chocolate/Cider Box" tutorial. I realized that I made a similar tutorial back in 2010 which you can see HERE. I called that a "Tea Box" because it is smaller in size, so use the dimensions I am sharing today if you'd like it to fit Cider or Hot Cocoa packets. You can see the Cider Box project that I made HERE. It is one of my favorite little boxes for holiday and seasonal projects. You can also use it for more than just hot drink packets, of course! I do want to mention that I did have to fold down the top of the cocoa packets to get them to fit, so you'll want to measure your packets before using my measurements and make any adjustments.


I started out by using the new SugarPea Designs stamp set from their latest release called Mugs and Kisses. I knew that I would be using it quite a bit for lots of Holiday projects and today is just the beginning! I am smitten with it! The sayings and images are PERFECT for my project!

I stamped all of the images in black ink, with the exception of the mug image. I stamped it in black first, but then wiped off the ink from the swirly cocoa portion of the image so that I could color that with a brown marker so it would look like cocoa was inside. There are lots of ways to achieve this same look, this just happens to be how I colored mine. After they were stamped and dry, I colored them with Copic and Prismacolor markers.


I used the coordinating Mugs and Kisses Sugar Cuts for all of the images. I assembled the little scenes onto a circle of blue cardstock for each assortment of images. I chose the sentiments for each box based on what images I used. I ended up making 6 boxes total, 3 of each design.


The sentiments are heat embossed in white onto red strips of cardstock. I really liked how the embossing powder stuck here and there so I didn't wipe it away before I used my heat tool. It gave that marshmallow-y, whip-cream-y look I was aiming for! I also added some liquid applique to the mallow's hats as well as the whip cream on the to-go cocoa cups. I used the same technique HERE

I had to add some corregated paper because I am just really into it right now. I corregated the Kraft paper using my paper crimper and then spritzed it with Shimmer Spray because c'mon, who are we kidding???..I'm addicted to the stuff! LOL! 


The boxes are assembled using some Scor Tape on the side and on the bottom. I also add some self adhesive velcro dots to hold it shut. The ribbon is only decorative and is just looped under the top flap and then tied in a bow at the top. I made handles on the Cider Boxes I linked up earlier in the post. In the past, I've punched holes on the side and knotted them, punched holes and added grommets, etc. Lots of different ways to embellish these boxes.
I hope you found this informative and useful! I'd love to see your creations! If you create some of these, leave me a comment so I can come and see your projects!!! Thanks for fluttering by!

1 comment:

Vickie Leaf said...

I love the colors and the box. The corrugated paper sure adds dimensions. Thanks for sharing