Friday, April 7, 2017

My cup runneth over...{thank you}

I happened upon the "Inspired by all the little things" challenge on Instagram the other day and was...inspired! Isn't this photo beautiful? I would love to be a guest at this event, whatever it may be! I love the color combo and the rows of teacups caught my eye immediately...such a small detail, but I knew EXACTLY what direction I wanted to head in! You can check out the challenge HERE
 
I took hints of the inspiration photo as my guide. I began by sponging green ink onto 40 lb. watercolor paper and then spritzing it with water. I applied the ink a little heavier in the areas where I knew that I would be placing the teacups. I wanted there to be a nice contrast between the cups and the background. I taped the watercolor paper down with washi tape, leaving the slightest white edge for contrast and to keep it from curling.


While that was drying, I die cut all 6 of my teacups out of the same watercolor paper. I knew that I would be watercoloring at least 3 of them, but just did them all just in case. I used "Tea for Two additions" from PTI, an oldie but goodie, for today's design. I heat embossed 3 of the cups using the line art image and 3 using the solid images included in the set. The line art cups were watercolored using a watercolor pen and "Apricot Appeal" ink.
The embossing gives it the perfect amount of delicate shine that I was hoping for. After the watercolor background piece was dry, I measured the height of the teacups and used my paper trimmer and scoring blade to make 2 indentations for some extra detail, beneath each row of cups as well as creating a "sandwich" for the sentiment panel as well. The sentiment was heat embossed as well and I just love the impact it gives the card. The roses were diecut from "Apricot Appeal" cardstock and then brushed with gold ink for some extra detail and continuity.


The background of the inspiration piece boasted a backdrop of lights, which I love. I decided to add a hint of sparkle by adding a few gold sequins here and there.

The spoon and tea tag were some extra finishing touches that made the card feel complete and balanced. The focal piece was layered onto "Apricot Appeal" cardstock and a Kraft card base sponged with white ink. This card was so much fun to create! I was actually inspired twice for this particular design. I was standing in line at the post office to mail out THESE AND THIS card and I saw a card available for purchase there that struck my fancy; not the colors, not much really, but it had teacups on it. As soon as I saw this photo, it was the teacups that caught my eye as well...and that is how an "inspired" card was born! Thanks for fluttering by!

11 comments:

katrynka said...

I totally love this! Do you have info somewhere else on the blog as to how you make the roses?! I'd love to know how to do that!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thank! I don't have a tutorial or anything on my blog, but they really are so easy. I used dies from My Favorite Things for these, but if you don't have any dies, you can still make some. If you cut a circle and then cut a spiral through that, you simply roll it up starting at the outside edge.

Kelly Lunceford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesley said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for joining us at Inspired By!

Karren said...

Absolutely gorgeous card, Kelly. The linky closed early due to a technical glitch, but I've added the link to your card in the comments and it is still in contention for our winners post. Thanks so much for joining us at Inspired By.

Sheri Gilson said...

Beautiful card, Kelly! Thank you so much for helping us celebrate our 50th challenge over at Inspired By All The Little Things!

KimCreate said...

Kelly, your card is beautiful. Love the cups and pretty flowers. Thanks for joining us at Inspired by all the little things!

Leigh Penner said...

This is so pretty! Wonderful take on the inspiration photo!

LauraJane:) said...

Toot Sweet! Thanks for playing with us at Inspired By ALL the Little Things!

Wanda Cullen said...

I love all your attention to details in this amazing take on our inspiration photo! LOVE it! Hope you can join us again in the weekly Inspired By challenge!

Karen Day said...

This is gorgeous, Kelly! Off to pin it, now!