Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Blooms, Bookmarks and Blog Candy!!!

 Yes...that's right, you heard me; BLOG CANDY! It has been a while since I did anything fun like that, so here we go!  I have made a blooming bookmark for my daughter's teacher that she will give her tomorrow. All you have to do is guess which book I have it wrapped around. Easy enough?  Whoever guesses first will win the prize. Unfortunately, only those living in the continental U.S. will be eligible.  If no one guesses correctly, I will just do a random pick from the comments, Okay? Okay! P.S. I will close the contest at Noon tomorrow, May 8th MST. Now....on to the projects. Tomorrow's  theme for Teacher Appreciation week is to give your teachers flowers.  As much as I wanted to give her a vase of beautiful flowers, I could just imagine all 24 kids bringing vases and such and how in the world would her teacher get all of those home? So....the creative, yet practical side of me, decided to give her gardening gloves, seed packets, one of those crazy solar dancing flowers and a floral bookmark.  I had been wanting to make bookmarks for my book club, so this was the trial run.  I am pleased with the results.




 Since I have already made two cards for her, I made a tag instead to go on the bucket of goodies I am giving her. I have always loved this stamp set and coordinating die. It is called Garden Variety and I usually end up by pulling it out this time of year.  I thought the sentiment worked well for a teacher also.


The bookmark, like I mentioned, was more of an experiment, but I like how it turned out. I used my felt and diecuts.  I also used some colored elastic that I had saved to make baby headbands, but it worked perfectly for this project. I love the shine that it gives it.  I first cut two pieces of felt using the label diecut from PTI. I used my sewing machine and stitched around the edge sandwiching the elastic. I also sewed the elastic into a circle using a zig-zag stitch before I started.  It was easy to get it all aligned because the elastic had a center stripe that I could easily line up with the point of the felt. Once that was done, I diecut the flowers using some MFT dies that I love. The leaves are from PTI. Everything was hot glued and it was done! I hope she likes it. Thanks for fluttering by!



6 comments:

Marisa said...

Nice to see you posting again :) What a fabulous teacher's gift! Love the felt flowers. As for the book...hmmm...how about The Giving Tree.

Anonymous said...

I have not a clue as to what book. I know this much, she is luck y she has your child because everything you make is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Janice Rosenthal Rock said...

These are ADORABLE!! Love them! I have a question . .. do you use just "regular" felt, from a fabric store, for your felt flowers? . . .or is it "treated" or anything? Thanks! You've been my inspiration to make some from felt . . .
Janice

Judi Farr said...

I'm guessing the book might be Leaves of Gold. Your daughter's teacher is truly blessed to have you in her life.

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous gift, so perfectly packaged! I have no idea what the book would be, but it looks very special and I'm sure it will be a hit!

Janet@swofford.com said...

Gorgeous bookmark! What a wonderful teacher present!My guess for the book it's wrapping is "Oh The Places You'll Go". It is a favorite book of mine and I love to give it as a gift to teachers,graduates and new moms.